Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sourdough Starter from 1847

sourdoughstarter

How cool is this? I saw a post on this sourdough at Brownie Points, and immediately decided I wanted to try it. I sent a dollar, and my address, and promptly got back what you see in the picture. And that's dried sourdough starter, from Oregon. It was first started by Carl Griffith, in 1847, and people are still caring for this tender little sourdough. Some people volunteer to share the joy, and send out dried pieces of starter all over the world.

I like baking with sourdough, but I keep mine frozen and I rather like the idea of having a bubbling jar that needs feeding once a week. I am too lazy to make my own starter, and besides, this sounded so neat. Just imagine - a sourdough culture dating back 170 years! If you want to try it too, check out everything you need to know right here.

And I promise to report back when I've revived it!

No comments:

Post a Comment