Thursday, May 4, 2006

Camera advice - what to choose?

As you probably have noticed if you visit here regularly, I love taking photos. Ok, so most of what I shoot is a) food and b) cats, but still. Love it. And I always have. I first got interested in cameras and photography about fifteen years ago, and it's an interest that just never left me.

And I'm looking to move up. I want to take the big step out of compact cameras to an digital SLR. But this is uncharted territory for me, and while I have asked many friends and contacts on what to choose, I'm just not done yet. My first choice was Nikon or Canon, and I'm fairly sure I'm going with Nikon. I don't want to spend too much on the really great models, and as far as the budget models go, the Canon isn't built the way I like it. Besides, my father has a bunch of old Nikon lenses, that would be fun to use.

So, Nikon. But which one? D50, or D70s? Please, if you have one or the other, or a strong opinion either way - let me know! :) I have looked at what feels like a million sample pictures, and I can't help feeling that the D50 pictures aren't as crisp as the D70s. Could be just those pictures, of course.. or not. The kit lens is better with the D70s, too - but there's a very attractive package for the D50 with two lenses, and for a very decent price. In fact, I'm leaning towards the D50... but I am worried about the crispness factor. Look here to see what I mean. Maybe it's just that I've seen more great shots with a D70s than with a D50? Anyway. Help would be very, very, very appriciated.

Now, back to food. Or in my case, breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment