Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Homemade Vanilla Extract



Ok, I really hope this will work. I am out of vanilla extract, but I'm still very well stocked with actual vanilla. (And yeah, you guessed it - vanilla extract is not to be found here. At least not REAL vanilla extract - just fake imitation stuff, and that at outrageous prices. As you can see, I'm whining again.)

Anyway. So this is an attempt to make my own extract. If anyone has a better idea, let me know - I still have loads more vanilla...

Vanilla Extract

Pour 500 ml of liquor into a jar. (I used vodka for one, and a mix of dark and light rum for another.) Score five vanilla beans per jar, and stick them in. Let them stand dark for a month (mine still has over two weeks to go) and shake them every now and then.

After that, I plan to sieve the mixture and pour into small bottles, and maybe stick a bean in each. Sounds like an idea, yeah?

Vaniljextrakt

No comments:

Post a Comment