Monday, September 4, 2006

Saffron Shrimp Salad with Peaches



At least I got a pretty picture.

Ok, when I first read the recipe for this dish, I thought it sounded just fine, so I bookmarked it. (It's from Elle's food magazine, but it's published here too, in Swedish.) Then I decided to make it, bought what I needed, decided to trade jumbo shrimp for regular, and I got cooking. It's easy enough - sure, it had a lot of steps, but they were fairly straightforward.

When plating, I realized how many flavors and textures there would be. And when I tasted it, I realized that it was way too many. Way.

This salad has:
- crisp salad leaves
- shrimp marinated in chili and garlic oil
- grilled peaches
- roasted almonds
- roasted garlic
and to top it off, a dressing with saffron, garlic and parsley.

It's too much. Everything was fighting for my attention, and it just didn't work. The saffron was what finally killed it for me, I think. It didn't go very well with the rest and if I'd make this again - not so likely, by the way - I'd go for a simple vinaigrette with garlic and lemon, and not a trace of saffron or parsley.

You're not getting a translation of the recipe. And you should be a bit thankful for that, actually. But it *was* pretty, so here's another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment