Thursday, June 7, 2007

Israeli Cous-Cous with Lemon

bigcouscous

I've had a box of israeli cous-cous - or large cous-cous, it has a number of names - in my cupboard for a really long time. A really, really long time. I've only used it once, and I wasn't thrilled. But for Ywette's party, I decided to give it another go. I thought about it, and decided that the classic trinity in gremolata - lemon, garlic and parsley - would work well. And my instinct was indeed right, it turned out delicious!

This was a really nice side dish. We had the leftovers last night for dinner - and to spruce them up a bit, we fried some bacon and fresh asparagus, mixed with the lemony cous-cous and topped with a little parmesan. Not bad at all!

Israeli Cous-Cous with Lemon

500 ml (2 cups) large cous-cous (israeli cous-cous)
water
the zest of two lemons
2-3 garlic cloves
large bunch of flat-leaf parsley
olive oil
flaky salt, preferrably lemon-flavored if you have it

Bring a pot of water to boil, lightly salted. Boil the cous-cous until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to get rid of excess starch.

Mince the lemon zest, crush the garlic, chop the parsley, and mix it all with the cous-cous and a few spoonfuls of olive oil. Finish with a pinch of salt. I like lemon salt, just because I happen to have it - this is a good dish for it. But just use regular salt, it'll be perfectly fine too.

Recipe in Swedish:
Stor Cous-cous med citron

No comments:

Post a Comment