Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers - tuile it is!

daringbakersjan09

It's official: I can't do cute. I can't do dainty, I can't do pretty shapes, I just can't. Especially not when I'm trying to do something at the last minute. Surprise, surprise. Anyway, I've been feeling very unexcited about this month's challenge for some reason, not due to the recipes themselves but I just haven't been inspired. So, I held it off until last minute, and then I decided to go for nougatine which I at least know I like. I did a fraction of the original recipe - about one fifth - and since my patience was wearing a lot thinner than the hot, sticky, gooey almond mess, I shaped rustic (very) baskets.

For the fruity pairing... I made cherry ice cream. Sounds impressive, tasted fab, but was really a big cheat. I softened vanilla ice cream, stirred in cherry preserves and a great cherry syrup from Poland. It was seriously one of the tastiest ice creams I've ever had, including many home made ones, so cheat or not, I'll make it again. Would I make nougatine? Uhm. Maybe. Probably. But I'd have to wait to feel quite inspired! As did many of my fellow daring bakers, so do go to the blogroll or the forums and check out what everyone else made!

pink_db

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

No comments:

Post a Comment