Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Apple Fennel Salad



This was one of the vegetable dishes I served for Thanksgiving. It was very nice and refreshing - it's crunchy with clean flavors, and I will definitely make it again. Maybe for christmas?

I used my latest toy - a Kyocera mandolin. It was absolutely perfect for the job! I used Jona Gold apples, but I think I'll go with something a bit tarter for next time. The inspiration from this came from a magazine clipping - I think it was from Ica's Buffé.

Apple Fennel Salad

2-3 large apples
2 bulbs of fennel
1 red onion
1 lemon
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper

Trim the fennel, and slice very thinly. Put in a bowl of ice water for half an hour - this will make it extra crisp.

Core the apples (you don't have to peel them) and slice thinly. Slice the red onion too. (See why a mandolin is nice here?)

Make a simple dressing from the juice of the lemon, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper.

When ready to serve, drain the fennel and arrange everything on a large platter.

Recipe in Swedish:
Sallad med äpple och fänkål

No comments:

Post a Comment