Monday, April 14, 2008

Lemon Chicken

stickylemonchicken

And AGAIN, a recipe inspired by Gordon Ramsay and Fast Food. I really don't remember what I changed - I have a feeling it was quite a few things this time, but a few weeks have passed and my memory isn't that great. I'm sure you'd get good results by following the book to the letter, too. It's just that I have a hard time with that - I suppose I don't play very well by rules! So, feel absolutely free to play with this as you please - as in fact I encourage you to do with all of my recipes, or any other for that matter. Taste it, adjust to your liking, and remember that everyone's palate is different.

Lemon and chicken go so well together - and the sherry vinegar is really essential here, but if you must, substitute a good balsamic. You can serve this alongside almost any side dish, but we chose a bulgur salad with lots of tomatoes and fresh coriander.

Lemon Chicken
Serves 6-7

2 kg chicken thighs
2 lemons
1 whole head of garlic
thyme
sherry vinegar
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp honey
flat-leaf parsley
salt, pepper, olive oil

Divide the garlic into cloves and peel them. Cut the lemon into very thin slices.

Heat the oil in a large pot. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown the chicken pieces all over. (You probably will have to do this in batches, unless you have a *really* big pot.) Add thyme and garlic, add a good splash of sherry vinegar, the soy and the honey, and let it reduce slightly.

Add water - I added enough to almost cover the chicken, but you don't want it too soupy so use as much as you think you might need for the chicken to cook through. Start with a cup, and go up from there - it really will depend on the size of your pot.

Add the garlic and cover with a lid. Let the chicken bake for 10 minutes or a bit more - check to see if it's cooked through and not pink inside. Season with more soy sauce or vinegar.

When the chicken is done, transfer it and the lemon to a platter, and sprinkle with parsley. Drizzle with some of the sauce. (If you're more ambitious, you can certainly reduce the sauce after removing the chicken. But the idea here is fast food, so I pretty much skipped that. Gordon also says to discard the garlic, but go ahead and eat it if you wish - it's your dinner.)

Recipe in Swedish:
Citronkyckling

No comments:

Post a Comment