Thursday, December 14, 2006

Finally, a roast chicken!



Not a big deal, surely - a roast chicken? Considering I've been cooking turkey for the past three years, what's a chicken compared to that? Well, I knew it wouldn't be very hard, but for some reason, I had never come around to actually cooking a chicken. Whole. In the oven. Until this week.

In fact, it was one of my new year resolutions! (And I'm having great fun thinking about five new resolutions for 2007!) Anyway. It was really easy, and really, really tasty. I read several recipes for roast chicken in my trusty Nigella and Jamie books, and then did something like this:

In the morning, I rubbed the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Back in the fridge it went. When I was ready to cook, I heated the oven to 200°C. I tossed in two small lemons with my boiling potatoes, and when they were hot I fished them out, stabbed them all over and stuffed them into the chicken. I then rubbed some olive oil into the skin of the chicken, tied it up neatly with my beloved FoodLoops and pushed it into the oven, where I left it for about an hour. And that was that.

We ate it with roast potatoes, roasted parsnips and carrots, and my favorite cold sauce, raitziki.

No comments:

Post a Comment