Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!



It seems proper on the last day of the year to think back. It's been a great, great year. Highlights include moving to a house, turning 30, getting a new government in Sweden, buying a new camera, cutting my hair, and making many new friends. (I won't bore you with what haven't been quite as good.) I hope next year has a lot of fun in store, too! I plan to make a number of food-related resolutions, just like this year. But first, it's time to see if I actually kept the ones I made for 2006.

1. Budapest Swiss Roll. Yep, I did that for the blog's birthday!

2. Roast Chicken. Yes! Finally! What on earth took me so long?

3. Gnocchi. Um. Well. Let's see. I made it with my friends Lena and Nico who are the gnocchi experts. I also made a Swedish dumpling called kroppkaka, which can maybe be loosely interpreted as a very large, filled, gnocchi. But regular gnocchi? No. Sorry. I tried, though. I followed Jamie Oliver's recipe (where you bake the potatoes, rather than boil them) and everything looked fine and dandy until I tried to gently drain them from the cooking water and they turned to mush. I can safely say that I'm not in the mood to try again anytime soon.

4. Real veal stock. Sorry. Haven't found any veal legs. Or honestly, haven't really looked. And I don't think I will. I tend to think home-made stock is largely over-rated, sorry.

5. Penne alla Vodka. Oh yes, numerous times!

All in all, I say three out of five isn't bad!

Now, I'm off to get a little extra sleep before tonight's big party. I hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Eve! Happy New Year to all, and I hope to see you in 2007!

No comments:

Post a Comment