Saturday, July 7, 2007

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

cinnamonswirl-oatmealbred

I grew up with my grandmother's cinnamon rolls, but I had never heard of cinnamon swirl bread until I spent a year in California. The idea is weird to me - bread, but sweet? Weird or not, it's pretty darn tasty. And it was only recently that I tried it myself. You can make it from any bread dough, but I used Farmgirl's Oatmeal Toasting Bread, and this Spice Sugar.

Instead of shaping loaves directly after the bread has proved, roll it into a thick rectangle. Brush with a bit of melted butter, sprinkle liberally with spiced sugar, and roll it back up into a loaf shape. Place seam-side down into a loaf pan (greased and sprinkled with extra spiced sugar if you'd like) and bake as you normally would.

I keep mine sliced in the freezer, very convenient for a quick sugar-carb fix when the need hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment