Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cookbook Watch: Very Swedish

langtans mat

Finally. Finally I'm able to tell you about a really good book about Swedish food - that's available in English! This gem of a book is called "Very Swedish" or in Swedish, "Längtans Mat" (which means food that you long for) and is written by Annica Triberg. (At Max Ström publishers.) It truly is the best book of this genre that I've found in a long time, and I'm happy to say that it's also a really beautiful book. Max Ström publishers focus on beautiful books with lots of photos, and this is no exception. There are beautiful nature photos from all over Sweden (by Tore Hagman), and excellent food photos. (By Per Hanung)

My copy is as you can see from the photo, in Swedish. I sent an English copy to friends in Canada though, so I know that it's just the same as this one - I hope they'll enjoy it! Let me point out some of the recipes you'll find in this lovely book: Cured salmon (gravlax) with "head-waiter sauce" as the book calls it, I'd call it a Dill-Mustard sauce, but sure, "head-waiter sauce" is the literal translation. Or how about salmon pudding with clarified butter? Potato cakes with bacon? Saffron pancake? (Really more of a rice pudding.) Baked apples with custard?

This book will give you a really good introduction to classical Swedish cooking. I really recommend it for anyone who might be interested.

You can find a lot of Swedish recipes right here, of course - have you seen the "Swedish" category in the index recipe on the right? Some of the ones I've posted are also in the book (well, the recipes are not the same, but the dishes are) - such as Jansson's Temptation, Västerbotten Cheese Pie, Christmas Ham, Kroppkakor, Kåldolmar, Swedish Meatballs, Tjälknöl, Elderflower Cordial, Crisp bread, Sandwich cake, Gingerbread cookies and much, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment