Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Portobello Toast with Caramelized Onions

portobellotoast

Here's another recipe that I found in Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food. Like I've already said, that book was really inspring, and since I only borrowed it from the library for a few weeks, I made a lot of things all at once. This was definitely a winner - it's so simple, but so tasty. And it was my first time buying portobello mushrooms actually - nice, but I don't know that they're all that different from regular (and much cheaper) button mushrooms. So I think I'll stick to that. Here's some more info on the Portobellos.

I wouldn't mind this mushroom-onion mix with something else than toast, either. Say, on a pasta? Or with some scrambled eggs? In an omelette, for that matter? The possibilities are endless...

Portobello Toast with Caramelized Onions
Serves 2

6 small shallots
200 g portobello mushrooms
some fresh thyme, or in my case, 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
salt, pepper
butter
1-2 tbsp sherry vinegar
flat-leaf parsley
some good bread

Slice the shallots and the mushrooms. Crush the garlic clove, but don't chop it. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and fry the shallots, the garlic and the thyme. Fry for a few minutes, then add the sugar and lower the heat. Continue frying as you stir the shallots, letting them brown a bit.

Add the mushroom, and a pat of butter. Fry until the mushrooms have shrunken and lost most of their liquid. Add a splash of sherry vinegar, and let it reduce a bit. Season with salt and pepper, and finish with some chopped parsley.

Toast your chosen bread, divide the topping, and serve right away.

Recipe in Swedish:
Toast med Portobello och karamelliserad lök

No comments:

Post a Comment