Saturday, December 27, 2008

Burnt Almonds

brandamandlar

This is one of my favorite types of candy. It's called Brända Mandlar - burnt almonds - and it basically consists of a pink candy fudge-like coating, with an almond inside. Confusingly the same name also refers to candied almonds, the sort with just sugar and spices. This has made it really difficult to find a recipe for it, and well.. nowadays these can be found in most grocery stores all year round (thanks to Karamellkungen Premiyum, a luxury Pick-n-mix stand), but before, it was basically just available at Christmas markets.

So. I searched for a recipe. Everyone warned me, saying that these are not easily made at home. I even found a christmas cookbook that had it in the index, but when I looked it up I came upon a very, very disappointing "don't make these at home".

I finally found one that looked somewhat promising. Basically sugar, glucose and coloring. And almonds, obviously. It was no problems at all. At first. But after I added the almonds, I waited for the candy to cool down slightly so that I could shape it around each almond. Well, when it started to firm up just slightly, it was still scorchingly hot. And wouldn't stick to the almonds, at all. Approximately two seconds after that, this is what happened:

brandamandlarmess

A huge, huge, huge mess. A very hard ball of sugar, with almonds. (Purple, as you can see - for some reason, I decided that purple would be more fun than pink.) I'm never making this again, and I recommend that you don't either. Sorry folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment