Friday, April 13, 2007

English food is no joke.

engelskasnittar

English food is no joke. Or is it? I told my husband about the event that Sam is hosting - Fish and Quips, and his immediate response was "let's make Spotted Dick!"

Well.

When I think of English food, I think of Afternoon Tea. And there's certainly nothing funny about that. (Or is it?) I think it's a rather lovely tradition, and I much enjoy the ritual of it. Not that I've ever had afternoon tea in England, but quite often in several Stockholm cafés. And I enjoy making some of it at home, too, of course. These tiny sandwiches were served at my Tupperware party, and they turned out to be very popular.

One kind is simple good butter (with flakes of sea salt) and thinly sliced cucumber. The other holds hardboiled eggs (2), mayonnaise (2 tbsp), crème fraîche (2-3 tbsp), fresh coriander (2-3 tbsp) and a little salt. Yummy!

Now is also a great time to tell you about a thesis I once wrote when I was studying English. It was about the language of puns, and whether or not they were easier to understand for native speakers than for foreigners who had English as their second language. (Turned out to be no big difference). It was called - rather obviously: That's Not Punny. I remember my professor chuckling his way through our numerous sessions - my subject was a lot more light-hearted than most of the other linguistics thesises that year.

Anyway. English food is not a joke. It can be great.

Feel free to enter this event too - there's still time! Head over to Sam to find out how! I'm really looking forward to a great round-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment