Saturday, April 21, 2007

Prinsessornas Kokbok

prinsessornaskokbok

I didn't know what to title this post - is it "Foodie Gifts" or "Cookbook Watch"? Because this is a fantastic old set of cookbook that my darling big sister Ehva gave me. It's a fairly famous cookbook, called the Princesses' cookbook (wasn't very hard to translate, was it?), and written by Jenny Åkerström back in the 1920:s. My edition is printed in 1931, and in fantastic condition. I have the first four books - I think there might be more, but I'm not completely sure. (Nor do I really care, I'm perfectly happy with these.) Jenny Åkerström had a domestic school in Stockholm, where she educated future housewives, including the three princesses Märtha, Margareta and Astrid. Hence the title of her very popular book - this was printed in many, many editions, but it is now rather hard to find.

So, is it useable? Well, sure it is! But it *is* old. It's supposed to have the original recipe for Princess Cake, but I haven't found it so far. (I've only had quick leaf-through just yet.) And some of the things.. well, I guess offal meats were pretty popular back then, as was gelatin in many different shapes and forms. But it's amazingly fun to be able to time-travel like this and see what was popular in a very different time. Of course, some things don't change - the books have a very well-filled chapter on ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment