Monday, May 21, 2007

Happy Birthday!

chevretoasts

To me!

Thank you for all the wonderful congratulations! An extra-special thank you goes out to Pene, a long time reader and commenter, who sent me a wonderful cookbook from Estonia. It has recipes in both Estonian and English (thank goodness) and it's all.. chocolate! The photos are absolutely gorgeous, and this is one I really can't wait to dig into! Thank you Pene, that was completely unexpected and thus made my day.

Which was, as far as birthdays go, off to a bad start. The wisdom tooth operation, well, not so successful after all, and I had an infection. So back to the dentist for some more torture (really!) and then a heavy dose of painkillers and antibiotics. Yeay. Not. But it picked up pretty well after that! I got flowers from the happy newlyweds, and plenty of gifts from friends and family. And a lovely princess cake! (And no, I didn't make it myself!)

The photo is of chèvre toasts, one of my favorite snacks. So easy to make! You need a baguette - day old is fine - sliced into thin rounds. Drizzle with some olive oil, and top with a thin round of chèvre cheese. Pop in the oven under the grill for a few minutes on high heat, until the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted. Top with rocket (arugula) and some toasted pine nuts. Serve with a glass of bubbly, or not, it's fine with just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment