Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Shrove Tuesday

semla

Today is shrove Tuesday - the last day to fatten up before lent - and in Sweden, we prefer to do that with Semlor. We're talking about a yeasted bun, flavored with lots of cardamom, filled with almond paste and whipped cream. It's finished off with powdered sugar. And as if this wasn't enough, many people like to eat theirs in a bowl of warm milk. (Which I personally find rather off-putting.)

I was going to make my own this year. Really, I was! Except, well, umm.. no, I didn't. At least I haven't yet - I might still make them before Easter, but I just don't feel like baking today. (Good thing I didn't make my foodie resolutions yet, huh? Which by the way, I totally should.)

I've written about semlor before. And if you're looking for pancakes instead, I wrote about lovely Swedish pancakes last year.

Today is also Super Tuesday, which is a much bigger event as far as world affairs goes. I obviously can't vote in the US election, but if I could, my vote would go to Hillary.

No comments:

Post a Comment