Friday, March 27, 2009

Comfort Food Friday - Finally a decent mash

potatismos-0903

I know, I really ought to give you a recipe - you've barely had any all week! - but sorry. Instead, I give you... my first successful mashed potatoes. Ever.

You're probably thinking "hey, what's so special about that? Besides, ugly photo!" and here's the story. I love mashed potatoes. Yet, I've never made them myself. See, I'm married to a mash-hater. He won't eat it. And I won't make mashed potatoes just for myself. Or at least, I thought I wouldn't. I tried, once, about eight years ago. It failed miserably, and I ended up with a gluey mess. Ever since, I've been afraid of trying. Instead, I've begged my friends to make me mashed potatoes, and I've eaten them in restaurants whenever I've had a chance.

Until a few days ago. I bought a 5 kilo bag of potatoes and decided to give it a go. I was wary, remembering the glue, and simply boiled the potatoes until very soft, mashed them with milk and butter (not too much milk at first) with a whisk (since I don't own a proper potato masher), and added more milk and butter, and salt, until I had a brilliant mash.

And then I ate it all. Yes, the entire pan. And you know what? I can't wait to make it again. And again.

For now, I'm satisfied with this very simple version, but I imagine I'd like to add more things to it eventually. What's your favorite variation on mashed potatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment