Sunday, October 28, 2007

Daring Bakers: Bostini Cream Pie

bostinicreampie

My third challenge already! And this time, I was afraid. Seriously afraid. Not because of the steps involved in this recipe, chosen by Mary at Alpineberry, but because of the *extremely* high calorie count. This felt like I would gain a pound just from looking at it. Two if I actually ate. So what to do? I couldn't skip a challenge just because of that, could I? Solution: cut the recipe in fourths. I did. It was fine. No problems. I then served ten mini portions of it, for my Tupperware party. That was a mighty fine solution, if I dare say it myself. (And I do!) That means that the full recipe would have served 40 and not 8 - certainly a massive improvement for the calorie count!

Anyway. I should also admit that I didn't like the sound of the recipe very much. Vanilla custard, cake and chocolate sauce. Huh. I felt that it was going to be so-so, and wasn't very excited. In fact, I had to force myself to reach out for the tiny cup and try it. But then! Oh then, I had no problems wolfing it down - because this was delicious! Really, really delicious! The custard was smooth and creamy, the cake light and airy and delightfully orange, and the chocolate glaze was slightly salty (I used salted butter) and rich with dark chocolate. It all went perfectly together. And a mini portion was just the right size.

I encountered no problems while cooking - this was very straightforward, and easy to make. The custard held together nicely, which was no huge surprise since it contained corn starch. The cake - I baked mine in the bottom of a regular loaf pan and then cut out ten nice squares. And I used freshly squeezed orange juice, straight from the orange, to make it more flavorful. (Worked out nicely!) The glaze - took about two minutes to make, couldn't be easier. All in all, a very nice challenge, and I'm so glad to be in the Daring Bakers because without it I'd have never chosen to take it on. Now, I'm glad I did!

pink_db

You can find the recipe here. And don't forget to visit the Daring Bakers blogroll and see how everybody else did!

My other challenges:
August - Milk Chocolate Caramel Tart
September - Sticky Buns

No comments:

Post a Comment