Monday, October 20, 2008

Arepas

arepas

I was SO looking forward to arepas. I had read about them before, but what finally pushed me over the edge was this post by Shauna, at Gluten-Free Girl. So, I hunted for the special corn flour you need, waited several months for a good time to make them, and gave it a go. And.. was utterly disappointed. Don't you hate it when that happens?

I think it was my expectations. I had dreamed of something soft, pillowy, chewy - sort of like the English muffins which they look so much alike. Instead, they were.. not at all like that. They do look a little overbaked and cracked in the photo, so possibly the pan was a bit too warm, but when it was cooler, nothing happened. And they were still fairly sticky in the middle. And dry. And boring. And almost tasteless.

I have to try this again, obviously. At least because I still have a pretty big bag of special flour. So, please, any arepas tips for me? Any way to make these delicious, and not just boring? I even thought about adding a little baking powder to make them fluff up - good, or stupid?

No comments:

Post a Comment