Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Leg of lamb

carving-lamb-0809

A bone-in leg of lamb is pretty hard to carve up, as we discovered. But it tasted great. This particular lamb was raised by a friend of mine, and I knew it had a good life not very far from here. That might contribute some to the flavor - I don't know. What definitely help was a rubbing with olive oil, finely chopped rosemary and sage, and some scattered thyme and garlic slices in the roasting pan. I put it in the oven at a fairly low temperature - about 125°C - and let it sit until the meat thermometer showed 65°C.

It was *really* fast, a lot faster than I had expected - less than an hour for a two-kilo leg! So, I removed it, let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, then gave it a final 20 minutes in a 200°C oven to heat it up and cook just slightly more. It turned out really tender, so good move! Next time, I'll cook it at an even lower temperature, for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment