Friday, October 24, 2008

Oatmeal Buttermilk Scones

oatmealscones2

I really love making something extra for breakfast on the weekends. Normally, we have sandwiches, and we do on weekends as well, but I like to have freshly baked bread or scones sometimes. (Or we'll splurge on pancakes or something similar - it feels very naughty as it's not typical in Sweden to eat something sweet for breakfast.)

I have a great recipe for scones that I like, but I was in the mood for oats, so I added some rolled oats to it. And I was almost out of milk... but I had lots of buttermilk. (Or well, Swedish filmjolk - but it's similar) Ta-da! All new recipe - and it's really tasty. And it's very, very crumbly, but that's sort of the thing about scones, isn't it?

Oatmeal Buttermilk Scones
6 large scones

215 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
40 g rolled oats
50 g butter or margarine
150 ml buttermilk, Swedish filmjolk or plain yogurt

Preheat the oven to 225°C. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the cold butter or margarine. Use your hands, or a pastry cutter, to rub the fat into the dry flour mixture until it's evenly distributed. Add the buttermilk, and quickly work into a smooth dough. Use a little more buttermilk if it's very dry.

Shape into 6 large balls, flatten slightly and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

oatmealscones1

Recipe in Swedish:
Havrescones med filmjölk

No comments:

Post a Comment