Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Goose Day

Today is "Mårten Gås", the traditional day for a goose meal in Sweden. Or actually just in southern Sweden, Skåne. It's not a tradition I've ever had, so I'm not cooking a goose this year either. I never have. In fact, I can't remember ever eating goose.

Anyway. A goose is of course served, alongside baked apples and prunes (sometimes stuffed into the goose), but before that, a special soup: svartsoppa. This means "black soup" and is the liquid equivalent of black pudding, meaning it's made from blood. Those who have tried it - I've never had the opportunity nor the inclination - say it tastes somewhat like liquified gingerbread, sweet and aromatically spicy.

The meal should be finished with an apple cake - that's really the most appealing part to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment